Border Regional Library Board Meeting
October 19, 2020, 7:30 pm
Present: Cheryl Kleemola, Mark Humphries, Travis PEnner, Mary Anne Lamy, Beth Peers, Denise Mayo, Janice Barrate
Regrets: Darlene Byers Denis Lachapelle
1. Call to Order: M. Humphries called the meeting to order at 7:31p.m.
2. Adoption of Agenda Motion: To adopt ythe agenda as presented. C. Kleemola, D. Mayo. Carried
3. Minutes of September 2020 meeting. Motion: To accept the minutes of the September 14, 2020 meeting as presented. B. Peers, D. Mayo
4. Accounts Payable: Motion to approve the accounts payable for September 2020, cheques numbered 2171a to 2188a, auto debits and payroll direct deposit totaling $23, 323.86 T. Penner, J. Barrate. Carried.
5. Financial Report – For information. Received $2979 for the Summer Reading Program employment grant. a) Sign CAFT reports and all reconciliations b) Visa Statements.
6. Correspondence: a) Virden Area Foundation: Received $595.97 from the Millennial History Book Committee. b) WCB: a letter relating to COVID 19. c) Minister of Sport, Culture & Heritage: Received the Tech Grant for 2021 in the amount of $7182.84. d) Donor’s Choice: With no canvasing this year, the donation numbers were down, donations to BRL amounted to $1278. e) PLS: Notice of the Tech Grant award.
7. Administrator’s Report – Attached. Motion: To accept the administrator’s report as presented. J. Barrate, T. Penner. Carried.
8. Old Business: a) Email Motion Policy: tabled. b) Employee Pandemic Policy – tabled. c) Grievance Policy: tabled. d) Employee Contract: The board determined that an employee contract was not appropriate. Instead, employees would sign and date a declaration on the job description applicable to each.
9. New Business: a) Revised Salary Grid: Due to an increase in the provincial minimum wage, the salary grid has been revised accordingly. It is to be remembered that our base rates of pay are based upon the minimum wage. b) Holiday Hours: Only Virden Branch would be open on December 23, 2020 as it is a regular open day. All branches will be closed from December 24 to December 29, 2020.
10. Revitalizing our Spaces: M.A. Lamy and the staff at Virden branch had a meeting to discuss some of the ideas regarding the sdpace and how it could be utilized. Further work is needed to flesh out a plan for renovation. J. Barrate will have a committee meeting and report to the Board at the December meeting. M.A. Lamy has a list of people that may be able to assist J. Barrate. The hope is that a plan to revitalize the Virden library space could be in place by spring 2021.
Adjournment: B. Peers adjourned the meeting at 8:58 p.m.Border REgional Library Board Meeting
Border Regional Library Board Meeting
December 14, 2020, 7:30 p.m.
Present: Cheryl Kleemola, Mark Humphries, Travis Penner, MAry Anne LAmy, Beth Peers, Denise Mayo, Darlene Byers, Denis LaChapelle
Regrets: Janice Barrate.
1. Call to Order: M. Humphries called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m.
2. Adoption of Agenda: Motion to adopt the agenda with additions. B. Peers, D. Lachapelle. Carried.
3. Minutes of October 2020 meeting. Motion: to asccept the minutes of the October 19, 2020 meeting as presented. C. Kleemola, B. Peers. Carried.
4. Accounts Payable. Motion: To approve the accounts payable for October 2020, cheques numbered 2189a to 2208a, auto debits and payroll diret deposit totaling $24,037.98: and for November 2020, cheques numbered 2209a to 2223a, auto debits and payroll direct deposit totalling $18, 497.46. T. Penner, D. Lachapelle. Carried.
6. Correspondence. a) WCB Annual Rate notification. b) Term Deposit Maturity ( J. Welsh donation) $27,900. Motion: To deposit the existing funds in the term deposit (at maturity) and the additional funds from J. Welsh to be received in December 2020 into a Step Saver. B. Peers, C. Kleemola. Carried. c) Town of Virden: Appointments of T. Penner, T. Williams (alternate) and J. Barrate. d) Town of Virden: Sewer payment. Motion: To pay in one lump sum of $2100 the sewer upgrade payment. D. Byers, D. Mayo. Carried. e) Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada: Donation of a history book.
5. Financial Report – For information. Received payment from the RM of Pipestone and Virden Donors Choice. Paid for spray foam at Virden branch (1344) which is a shared capital cost. a) Sign CAFT reports and all reconciliations. b) Visa Statements.
7. Administrator’s Report – attached. Motion: To accept the administrator’s report as presented. D. LaChapelle, D. Mayo. Carried.
8. Old Business: a) Email Motion Policy. Motion: To accept the email motion policy with corrections. B. Peers, D. Mayo. Carried. b) Employee Pandemic Policy (paid leave): tabled until the next meeting so the Administrator can do some research on the Federal CRSB. c) Grievance Policy: Motion: To accept the Grievance Policy as presented. D. Lachapelle, T. Penner. Carried. d) Personnel Policy: Paid breaks to be included in the policy. Motion: To accept a revised Personnel Policy that includes one half-hour unpaid lunch break plus 2 ten minute paid breaks per day worked. C. Kleemola, T. Penner. Carried. e) Flannery Donation: This generous donation of $20,000 is intended for all 3 branches of Border Regional Library. Some suggestions as to how to make use of this donation is to purchase moveable shelving for the branches. A plaque commemorating the donation can be attached to the shelves. The Administrator is to get pricing and specifications for shelving for all 3 brnanches for the next meeting.
9. New Business: a) Manitoba Bridge Grant: BRL may be able to receive a second $5000 from the province. b) Camada Life Group Insurance Report. c) Meeting Schedule for 2021. d) there is a projected surplus of $34, 494.73
11. Revitalizing Our Spaces: All Board members are to forward any ideas to the Administratior and to M. Humphries/J. Barrate to work with the building committee. It was suggested the building committee call members of the community for ideas. This work should be done for Janury 2021.
udget Meeting January 25, 2021.
Adjournment: T. Penner adjopurned the meeting at 9:05
Next Scheduled Meeting is on Monday, January 11, 2021 at 7:30 pm.