Border Regional Library Board Meeting
February 8, 2021, 7:00 pm GoToMeeting
Present: Cheryl Kleemola, Mark Humphries, Mary Anne Lamy, Beth Peers, Denise Mayo, Darlene Byers, Janice Barrate, Denis Lachapelle Regrets: Travis Penner
1. Call to Order: M. Humphries called the meeting to order at 7:04 pm.
2. Adoption of Agenda Motion: To adopt the agenda. D. Lachapelle, J. Barrate. Carried.
3. Minutes of January 2021 meeting Motion: To accept the minutes of the January 11, 2021 meeting. B. Peers, C. Kleemola. Carried.
4. Accounts Payable Motion: To approve the accounts payable for January 2021, cheques numbered 2238A to 2248A, auto debits and payroll direct deposit totalling $20,711.65. D. Mayo, J. Barrate. Carried.
5. Financial Report – for information. a) Sign CAFT reports and all reconciliations b) VISA statements
6. Correspondence a) RM of Ellice-Archie: sewer and water policy b) McNeill Harasymchuk McConnell law firm: Jeff McConnell has left the firm. c) MLA AGM d) RM of Wallace-Woodworth: T. Cameron relayed some grant information.
7. Administrator’s Report – attached. Motion: To increase the Virden branch cleaner’s salary by $25/month. D. Mayo, C. Kleemola. Carried. Motion: To accept the administrator’s report as presented. J. Barrate, D. Lachapelle. Carried.
8. Old Business
a) Quotes for moveable shelves
9. New Business: a) Employee Pandemic Policy: to be revised and distributed via email. b) 2020 Annual Circulation by branch c) Repairs to McAuley branch (broken window, front steps, foundation): C. Kleemola will check with the Ellice-Archie council on the status of these repairs. d) 2021 Capital Expenditures: list and estimated costs were presented. There was some discussion around prioritizing the list and whether or not some repairs needed to occur before renovating the interior space. e) 2021 Budget Discussion: M. Humphries opened the discussion by pointing out that BRL’s 2020 surplus is not part of the budget. The Board felt that, given that information, the surplus should not be used to decrease the municipal levy. In addition, the cost of living for 2020 was an actual 1.9%. Discussion around whether to use the surplus as an opportunity to advance salaries was fruitful. B. Peers pointed out that the 2020 surplus was accrued almost entirely due to the salary line, and felt that the surplus should be used to augment salaries. J. Barrate suggested that to make salary increases sustainable, the salary increase for 2021 should be made by the surplus paying half and municipalities paying half through an increased levy. The Board decided that salaries should be increased given the information and discussion. Motion: To approve the revised 2021 Budget as discussed at the February 16th Board meeting. (this motion to be presented via email along with the revised budget).
10. Committee Reports: a) Advisory Group: J. Barrate provided an update on the library advisory group established to explore ideas for the Virden branch. She has received more input and will plan another meeting within the next two weeks.
11. Other: a) Ideas for Virden branch from Board members: Ideas will be compiled in a rolling list and distributed.
12. Mileage: N/A 13. Adjournment: D. Byers adjourned the meeting at 9:25 pm.
Next scheduled meeting is on Monday, April 12, 2021 at 7:30 p.m. Virtual. To eceive the auditor’s report and to look at library renovations.