Border Regional Library Board Meeting
June 12, 2017, 7:30 pm
Present: Corinne Nesbitt, Tina Williams, Sandy Heaman, Mary Anne Lamy, Darlene Byers, Beth Peers, Melissa Pateman, Janice Barrate, Denise Mayo
Guest: Jack Welsh
1. Call to Order: M. Pateman called the meeting to order at 7:33 pm.
2. Adoption of Agenda
Motion: To adopt the agenda with an addition under New Business. S. Heaman, C. Nesbitt. Carried.
3. Jack Welsh: Jack and Kathy Welsh have made a very generous gift to the Virden Branch building fund, with stipulations. The Board and Councils will work out how best to manage the gift and conditions. The main stipulation is that the gift is to be returned if the building is not constructed/developed by 2025. The Board will consult with the Councils, PLS and legal counsel. We are able to return any interest earned on the gift but will have to return the principal if the above condition is not met.
4. Minutes of May 2017 meeting
Motion: To accept the minutes of the May 8, 2017 as presented. C. Nesbitt, D. Mayo. Carried.
5. Accounts Payable (May)
Motion: To approve the accounts payable for May, cheques numbered 1111A-1140A, auto debits and direct deposit totaling $19,871.33. S. Heaman, D. Byers. Carried.
6. Financial Report – FYI
a) Sign CAFT reports and reconciliations
a) Manitoba Youth Job Centre: SRP poster posted.
b) Benevity Community Impact Fund: $1000 donation from RBC for the building fund.
c) PLS: CELA / CNIB
d) PLS Zinio: mobile app
e) MLA Conference 2018
f) Craft Ideas: This magazine is no longer available. That brings to total of 7 magazines defunct in the last year.
8. Coordinator’s Report – attached.
Motion: To accept the coordinator’s report as presented. J. Barrate, C. Nesbitt. Carried.
9. Old Business
a) Book Sale and Barbeque
b) Facility Consultation report: Just looked at physical assessment
c) SRP: We had three applications for the position but none of them worked out.
Motion: In the event we don’t find a candidate for the Summer Reading program under the Canada Summer Jobs program, we look to hire someone else. T. Williams, D. Byers. Carried.
10. New Business
a) Programming: B. Peers asked what Board policy was concerning programming at all the branches. She felt that some programming was inappropriate and/or exclusive. The discussion resulted in the desire to review policy on this and other matters.
11. Other – J. Barrate asked how many in Oak Lake pay non-resident fees.
13. Adjournment: S. Heaman adjourned the meeting at 8:58 pm.
Next meeting: September 11, 2017 at Virden branch at 7:30 pm.