Minutes for both the April and May 2019 meetings are posted.
Border Regional Library Board Meeting
April 08, 2019, 19:30hrs
Present: Mark Humphries, Denise Mayo, Darlene Byers, Cheryl Kleemola, Mary Anne Lamy, Janice Barrate, Denis Lachapelle, Karel Munchinski
Regrets: Beth Peers,
- Call to Order: M Humphries called the meeting to order at 19:28hrs.
- Adoption of Agenda
Motion: To adopt the agenda as amended to add Tina Williams Deputy Major of Town of Virden to address Cory Nixon Report 10a. D. Byers, C. Kleemola. Carried.
- Audit Presentation
John Masson of John D Masson Charted Accountants presented the financial statement
for the Dec 31, 2018 year end.
Motion: To adopt the financial presentation as presented. D. Mayo, J. Barrate. Carried.
Addition. Cory Nixon Report 10. New Business
- Tina Williams reported on Cory’s Building Inspection Report that Council has agreed that water issues as outlined in report be repaired ASAP and following repairs that renovations will be completed on inside of building as expansion is no longer a viable option. Renovations are to be major not minor cosmetic repairs. Motion: To accept the minutes of the February 11, 2019 meeting as presented. Motion: To approve the accounts payable for February 2019, cheques numbered 1650A to 1673A, & No USA cheques, auto debits and payroll direct deposit totaling $20,998.78 & accounts payable for March 2019, cheques numbered 1674A to 1702A, No USA cheques, auto debits and payroll direct deposit totaling $23,423.30. J. Barrate, D. Lachapelle. Carried.6. Financial Report – for information
- 5. Accounts Payable
- D. Mayo, C. Kleemola. Carried.
- 4. Minutes of February meeting
- Motion: To move that we as a board, direct the building committee to cease pursuing rebuild/addition or relocation efforts and propose they develop a concrete 3 Phase major renovation plan to include an expanded programming area in a timely fashion. J.Barrate, C. Kleemola. Carried
- Sign February & March CAFT reports and all reconciliations
- Visa Statements checked & signed per D. Mayo7. Correspondence
- Bell MTS: Mary Anne has accepted a price reduced contract for Virden phone service.
- RM of Wallace-Woodworth: Received letter approving payment for back door.
- Higg Plumbing: Has been sold & is now known as Virden Pinnacle Plumbing
- Trevor Surgenor, PLS: Has hired 2 consultants that will not affect us & they are moving to Provincial Office Building
- Td Canadian Children’s Book Week 2019: Mary Anne has applied to have an author come the same as last year.Motion: To accept the coordinator’s report as presented. J. Barrate, C Kleemola. Carried.9. Old Businessb) Library Advisory Committee: Janice Barrate presented a handout on her report of the MLC 2018 Conference, which spoke of the need for Advisory Committee’s. A document was presented that outlined the committees function and described the terms and role of the committee.
- 10. New Business
- Motion: To accept Janice Barrate’s Library Advisory Committee to act as a channel of communication and dialogue between the library, its users, and the general community it serves. D. Lachapelle, D. Mayo. Carried.
- a) Library Board Workshop: Denise Weir can come out to do a workshop on Library Boards
- 8. Coordinator’s Report – attached.
- Cory Nixon Report: See Addition above. In Cory’s report he recommended solutions for initial repairs
- Motion: To direct Mary Anne Lamy to obtain quotes to achieve the repairs for Drainage conditions per C. Nixon recommendations as specified in the Scope of Work to be prepared by C. Nixon.. D. Mayo, D. Byers. Carried
- Donor’s Choice: D. Mayo & J. Barrate will canvas
- Insurance Quotes: Tabled until further quotes available
- Minimum Wage Increase: Minimum wage will increase to $11.65. Council has yet
- to pass motions for same. Tabled
- Computer Inventory: Mary Anne has inventoried all computers. All computers
- 12. Mileage
- 11. Other
- have Windows 7 currently installed and will in the future require upgrading to Windows 10. Councilors will check with respective councils to see if any further tech grants could be available
- Adjournment: K. Munchinski adjourned the meeting at 21:15hrs.
Next meeting: May 13, 2019 at McAuley branch at 19:00 pm. Meet at the school gym.
Border Regional Library Board Meeting
May 13, 2019 7:30 pm
Present: Mark Humphries, Mary Anne Lamy, Darlene Byers, Beth Peers, Janice Barrate, Denise Mayo
Regrets: Cheryl Kleemola, Denis Lachapelle, Karel Munchinski, Tina Williams
Prior to the meeting, BRL toured the old school with staff and volunteers, and discussed some issues with them.
- Call to Order: M. Humphries called the meeting to order at 8:02 pm.
- Adoption of Agenda
- Motion: To adopt the agenda as presented. D. Mayo, J. Barrate. Carried.
- Minutes of April meeting
- Motion: To accept the minutes of the April 2019 meeting as amended. D. Byers, J. Barrate. Carried.
- Accounts Payable (April)
- Motion: To approve the accounts payable for April 2019, cheques numbered 1703A to 1729A, auto debits and payroll direct deposit totaling $24,614.54. D. Mayo, D. Byers. Carried.
- Financial Report – for information
- Sign CAFT reports and all reconciliations
- VISA statement
- Sunrise Credit Union: BRL decided to keep the GIC in question invested for one more year.
- Virden & Area 2019 Visitor Guide: BRL has received copies for the branches. BRL also purchased an ad.
- NetSet Communications: McAuley’s Internet service is now provided through Xplornet.
- Kris Doull, MB Municipal Relations: The Province’s grant system has changed. Many funds are now rolled into one fund from which to apply.
- Virden Empire Advance: BRL received a sticker which we placed on the front window of library. The sticker signifies that we are a supporter of and advertise with Virden
- Empire Advance.
- RM of Pipestone Agreement: The agreement is renewed for another 3 year term, at $2000 per year.
- Tracy MacMillan, Disabilities Office: This office is recommending an emergency response plan/process for keeping employees safe. BRL will need to develop a policy. A template is available.
- Coordinator’s Report – attached. Reminder that there is a Board workshop on June 24th at 7 pm Virden.
- Motion: To accept the coordinator’s report as presented. B. Peers, J. Barrate. Carried.
- Old Business
- 2019 Salary: M.A. Lamy has not yet received from Councils acceptance notice of BRL’s 2019 budget. The motion regarding salaries below is subject to that approval.
- Motion: Increase salaries as per proposed 2019 budget retroactive to January 1, 2019. J. Barrate, B. Peers. Carried.
- Cost Efficiency Printer Comparison: M.A. Lamy reported there really are no opportunities for savings.
- Building Committee Minutes: They have been distributed.
- Library Advisory Committee: J. Barrate reported she had a couple of members. Minutes will be taken of their meetings.
- HR Insurance and Benefits Quotes: M.A. Lamy will continue to investigate the options she presented to the meeting. Some clarification was required.
- New Business
- Webinar Report: B. Peers presented briefly on ‘Recipe for Return on Investment’.
- 2019 BBQ and Book Sale: Volunteer Sign Up sheet was distributed.
- Other – None
- Adjournment: J. Barrate adjourned the meeting at 9:40 pm.Next meeting: June 10, 2019 at Virden branch at 7:30 pm.